Foreigners applying for a job or opening a business will require a Thai business visa. This can be best applied for before coming to Thailand. In addition, this type of visa can be extended to a long term visa which can be done either inside or outside the Kingdom of Thailand.
Categories Under the Thai Business Visa
There are 2 categories in which foreigners can enter under this type of visa.
Non-Immigrant B Visa (Conducting Business)
Foreigners who wish to setup or conduct business in Thailand should apply for a Thai Non-Immigrant B visa.
- 90 Days Non-Immigrant Visa (Single-Entry)
This is an initial visa issued by the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country which allows a stay of 90 consecutive days in Thailand.
- 1-Year Non-Immigrant Visa (Multiple-Entry)
This is issued to those who want to conduct business and intend to frequently travel in and out of Thailand. The initial non-immigrant visa can be extended to this visa once the work permit is processed.
Non-Immigrant B Visa (Employment)
- Foreigners who intend to work in Thailand should apply for an initial 90-Day Non-Immigrant B visa from their home country under employment category.
- The work permit application takes place during the initial 90 days given through the initial visa.
- Once a valid work permit is obtained, the applicant then applies for the 1-Year Non-Immigrant B visa inside Thailand.
- 90-day reporting to any Thai Immigration Office is required to the visa holder under this category.
- A re-entry permit is required if the applicant wishes to travel outside of the country.
- Renewal of this visa can be done inside Thailand.
Applicants for Non-Immigrant B Visa to Thailand must demonstrate that they are neither a public nor a security threat to the Thai government. Furthermore, applicants must be physically present in the country where they lodge their visa application.
The general requirements for this type of visa are as follows:
- A passport with at least 6-month validity from the date of your intended arrival in Thailand.
- An invitation or confirmation letter to clarify the purpose of travel issued by the concerned organization.
- Embassy fee.
- Additional supporting document requested by the Royal Thai embassy or consulate.
- Proof of financial funds and travel itinerary.
The visa applicants are advised to apply for their visa either by mail or in person at the Royal Thai embassy or consulate in their home country.
Initial Non-immigrant B Visa Application Process
- Preparation of the documents provided to the visa applicants by the person, company or the organization who offered the employment invitation in Thailand.
- Submission of the required documents to the Thai embassy or consulate in the applicant's home country by mail or in person.
- Payment of the embassy or consular fees which can either be by cash, check, or by credit card.
- Review and processing of the visa application. The processing time usually takes 5 to 10 business days which depends with the Thai embassy or consulate where the application is lodged.
Applicants are advised to apply for their visa either by mail or in person at the Royal Thai embassy or consulate in their home country.